Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Class of 1913

Class of 1913 (60)

Ivan V. Anderson
Vivian Atchley
Fletcher H. Bacon
James A. Bass
William C. Bedoit
Gussie F. Blanton
Frances M. Bosler
Sue E. Bowden
Claude C. Boydston
Rebecca S. Bryant
Harry E. Caldwell
Mae Irene Card
Thomas Rowan Clark
Frederick W. Colby
Henry A. Crawford
Harold G. Crouch
Kate B. Crouch
Mary M. Crouch
Grace C. Crutchfield
Carroll M. Denton
Ida Helen Dunagan
Thomas Frederick Dunham
Ollie M. Ellison
Jalia Elba Farrell
Abbie Lillian Fletcher
Kate Gothard
Hettie A. Harrill
Helen I. Harrison
Willie F. Harrison
Emily F. Henderson
Harold D. Hill
Helen M. Hood
Ben J. Hunter
Tressie May Ice
Cornelia Jones
Emmett L. Kerr
Lucy V. Lanham
Alta Lewis
Gladys MacKenney
Leola McDonald
Anna Mariea McKenney
Orrie S. McKenzie
Annie K. Moseley
Sam E. Noble
Edith N. O’Bryant
Ola Lee Pearson
Barbara Peckinpaugh
Vera Louise Prentice
Agnes V. Robertson
Katherine E. Roby
Emmett D. Rolston
William A. Seagle
Emmett F. Stevens
Andrew Stockburger
Carl Sutton
Roscoe Talley
Ira Walters
Elizabeth Wheelock
Margaret V. Wood
Mabel W. Young

Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Class of 1912

Class of 1912 (69)

This was the unfortunate year of no yearbook; the 69 graduates below were announced in the May 24, 1912 Chattanooga Times:

Henry Acheson
Fred Morton Adams
Jack Allin
Elizabeth Bare
Dallas Bender
Franklin Blevins Bogart
Raymond Joseph Bork
Fannie May Broom
Virginia Brown
Robert G Buchanan
Fannie Lucile Church
Harry Everden Clark
Thomas Rowan Clark
Nancye Pauline Cushman
Theodore Cushman
Margaret Daniels
Anna Davis
Mary Clare Dean
Charles Wright Dudley
Marguerite Edwards
Jeanette M Farrell
Mary Gertrude Farrell
Edith Myra Flegall
Marjan Graham
Bartley Jay Greenwood
Irene Hoyt Gregg
Mollie Hargraves
Mamie Hartwig
Mary Hayes
Edith Hughes
Wilhelm Krause
Ran Killinsworth
Ethel Maude Krichbaum
Clare Leavitt
Herman Lieb
Alta Lucile Lewis
Alexander Lyle
Mary Ethel Marler
Alfred Martin
Richard Drew Massee
Fred Joseph Mayer
James Edwin McAlister
Jack McNeil
Angus McWhorter
Mary Belle Milburn
Benjamin Alley Moore
Minta Roslyn Morris
Joseph I Nicholson
Winifred M Paris
Grace Patterson
Barbara Ethel Raulston
Evander Raulston
Julia Rice
Mary Mildred Schmitz
Blanche Shoemaker
Velma Willie Smith
Curtis Wayne Spencer
Philip Hallahan Stegall
William Eddie Stevens
Joe Houston Stickley
Mary Louise Stokes
Ernest Ganaway Taylor
Alfred Roy Teter
Clara Thompson
Ruth Webb
Willie Edna Webb
Mary Donna Wexler
Mary Ethel Wilcox
Natalie Lowe Wrightson

Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Class of 1911

Class of 1911 (65)

Of the 68 seniors pictured in the 1911 Sleepless Eye, 65 graduated in May 1911, as follows:

William Bryarly Allin
Creed Fletcher Bates
Anna Lucile Beck
William Clarke Beck
Marion Bicknell (female)
Henry Alban Blackwill
Bessie Pauline Briscoe
Fred Herman Brown
Robert Leonard Cannon
Ruth Church
Clara Mildred Clark
Thomas Lucas Clarke
Ellen Creswell Converse
Katherine Cowles
Ella Anna Davis
Daisy Dean Deakins
Amelie Dickert
Donna Francis Durand
Paul Williamson Elmore
Matthew Elrod
Robert Young Farris
Beth Frances Few
Clara Marie French
Nannie Belle Gothard
Susie Emma Gould
Henry Anton Haenseler
Clyde Hodge
Paul Hodge
Frankie Mae Huber
Lucile Edith Hunt
James Louis Johnson
Lillie May Johnson
Alvin Kelly
Stewart Lawwill
John Donald Lockwood
Georgia Louise Mason
Ruth McFarland
Thomas Henry McMillan
Indra Loder McTeer
Goldie Estelle Miller
Joe William Nicholson
Margaret Clemmer Nicholson
Eulalie Florence Noland
Sara Elizabeth Patton
Fred Prentice
Mary Range
Winnie Alma Reeves
Dorothy Vivian Rice
Rowena Aanjoulyne Sauls
Ocy Venna Schoff
Henson Worthington Schoolfield
Jesse Milton Shaver
John Ross Scott
Avis Shelton
Grace Anita Sheridan
Thomas Clarence Solomon
DeForest Spencer
Ruth Marion Stegall
Caldwell Elliot Thweatt
Mary Jane Trimbey
Nellie Wise Turner
Vina Wade
Bessie Emma White
Esther Marguerite Wilson

Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Class of 1909

I’m posting this information to amend erroneous and/or missing information in the “purple books” sponsored by the Alumni Association in 1994 and 2007. Maybe your parents or grandparents show up on these lists?  Were there any 3rd generation Pounders?   One of the more notable grads of 1909 was three-sport star Hawley Cushman, who returned a fumble for the only score in Central’s first football victory over City High and later started for John Heisman’s football and basketball teams at Georgia Tech.  Horace Jones was a “ringer” recruited from Baylor, who pitched Central to an undefeated season in baseball, including a win over previously undefeated Baker-Himel of Knoxville for the unofficial East Tennessee Championship on May 24, 1909 (which was also graduation day).

The 35 members of the Class of 1909 per the May 24, 1909 Chattanooga Times:

  • Oscar Barr
  • Frank S. Barker
  • Isabelle Rankin Bible
  • Richard Brown, Jr.
  • Mary Burger
  • Alma Cartwright
  • Laurel Crozer
  • Lily Crozer
  • George Hawley Cushman
  • Lois Carter
  • Mary Cochran
  • Mamie Alley Farris
  • Frank Griscom
  • Frank Hancock
  • Myrtle Holmes
  • Julius Horton
  • Horace Jones
  • Rufus Kelley
  • Nan Martin
  • Annilau Miller
  • Penelope Moore
  • Earnest W. Morrison
  • Reba Moulton
  • Willellah Neal
  • Mary Orrill
  • (Julius) Herbert Poindexter
  • Grace Shackelford
  • George H Shackelford
  • Norman Shackelford
  • Miss Willie Sutton
  • Joseph Tatum
  • Alice Taylor
  • Virna B. Wall
  • Audrey Watson
  • Harvey Wiley
Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Class of 1910

Research by Charlie Sedman:

The following 40 students graduated from Central per the Times May 25, 1910:

  • Leonard Acheson
  • Burton Benjamin Annis
  • Irene Jackson Barnes
  • Karl Leonard Becker
  • Mae Emma Becking
  • Hollis Hines Brixey
  • Cyrus Russell Brown
  • William Posey Bryant
  • Augusta Casey
  • Ellen Creswell Converse
  • Penelope Cornell
  • Agnes Cuneo
  • Grace Elizabeth Dodds
  • Ruth Hughes Dodds
  • Amelie Dickert
  • Ruth Hughes Gray
  • Mary Isabel Hall
  • Elba Gray Holmes
  • Rufus Clayton Kelly
  • Charles Kiser
  • Sadye Lide
  • Nell Liles
  • Hazel Ellen Marsh
  • Eula Lee McKenzie
  • Douglas Eton Morrison
  • William Andrew Ohls
  • Beulah Peckinpaugh
  • James M Pearson
  • Lois Pearson
  • Lamar S Poindexter
    John H. Revington
  • Nellie Grace Rogers
  • Elsie Shoemaker
  • Winnie Mae Smith
  • Ethel Naurine Stokes
  • Carol Lucille Stratton
  • Bessie Lucile Trimbey
  • Jessie Eugenia Turner
  • Nannie Elizabeth Wade
  • Lewis Wallace
Posted in Early History, Graduating Class

Central’s First Graduating Class

Research by Charlie Sedman:

I’ve been disappointed at how many errors occur in the two editions of the Central Alumni Directory.  The list of grads after 1963 are only partial lists.  But as I compared the graduation announcements in the Chattanooga Times, the seniors shown in the Champions, and the Alumni Directory listings, I became compelled to clean up the record.   For starters I am going to list the early graduates, and eventually get to the rest, with one caveat:  I have access only to those who graduated in the spring of each year, as announced in the local papers; any mid-term grads may not be accounted for.

By the way, the 1912 grads listing in the Alumni Directory is completely bogus; most of that list actually graduated in 1911 and some didn’t ever graduate, at least in the spring.

Central’s first senior class in May 1908 graduated 19 as follows:

  • William Edgar Barr
  • Paul Marshall Beane
  • Blanche Church
  • Orva Cleveland
  • Nora Cowan
  • Katiebel Darrah
  • Ethel Madge Gray
  • Edith Berry Iler
  • Charles Mason Love
  • Gertrude May Kelley
  • Ruby Inez Krichbaum
  • Mary Malinda Harris
  • Elsie Hayes
  • Collye Mae Poe
  • Mary Ella Terry
  • Florence Lee Shehee
  • Pauline McDonald Wallace
  • Charles Alan Ward
  • Mattie Drummond Ward

I’ve tracked most of these folks down and have short bios in preparation. The last of Central’s first senior class, Katiebel Darrah, the principal’s daughter, lived to be 98 years old, passing away in November 1989 in Nashville.

Posted in Early History

Origin of the Name Chattanooga Central

Research and information by Charlie Sedman:

Central was in fact the first accredited high school (1907) in Hamilton County and was referred to as “Hamilton County High School” in the beginning.  After Tyner opened in 1907 and Hixson in 1908 (followed by Soddy-Daisy and Sale Creek), Hamilton County High is then referred to as”Hamilton County Central High” then “Central High at Ridgedale”.  After Ridgedale was annexed by Chattanooga in 1912, Central was most often called Chattanooga Central, although it was never a Chattanooga City School.

Posted in Early History, Library

Central Library

This CENTRAL HIGH HISTORY moment was copied from Central Alumni NewsLetter authored by Susan Watkins Kendall Class of 1978 (see Central News).

There’s no better time to research, show off, and preserve Central’s history than during our Centennial year!   I thought everyone might enjoy this bit of history about Central’s E. Y. Chapin Library.  Ed Hoback

HISTORY OF THE E. Y. CHAPIN LIBRARY written in 1970 by Mrs. Pansy Allison, Central High Librarian

When Central High School was organized, a library was not included in the original plans.   In the early 1920s, Mr. John Setliffe, a Latin teacher, felt the need for an organized collection of books.   He gathered together a number of books which were located in an area under the south stairs on the first floor.   In 1926, Central was given some donations from a private classical library, and in cooperation with the Chattanooga Public Library, the Hamilton County Board of Education was able to organize a library for Central.   The library was then located behind the rotunda, directly over the cafeteria.

During the years of the Depression, Central’s book supply was running low.   Just when it seemed Central would have to give up the library, the Hamilton County Board of Education, in order to meet standards set by the Southern Association of Libraries, appropriated $2,000 to buy enough books to maintain the library.   After the Depression, Central built the left wing of the school, and in 1937 the library moved to that location.   Until 1952, Central maintained three librarians, but when student enrollment dropped below 2,000, two librarians were enough to run the library.

In 1938, the library was added to the school as a branch of the Chattanooga Public Library and was named in honor of Mr. E. Y. Chapin.   Several years later, Central’s library broke away from the Public Library and since that time has been supported by the Hamilton County Board of Education.   In 1950, Mr. E. Y. Chapin donated $3,000 to buy books.   In his will, he left the school an endowment fund which has gone a long way toward making Central’s library the largest high school library in the South.

Since 1927, the head librarians of Central High have included:

  • 1927-29:  Garnett Leader
  • 1928-29:  Mary W. Atkinson
  • 1929-30:  Elizabeth Lacey
  • 1930-43:  Augusta Kolwyck
  • 1943-61:  Mary Sanders
  • 1961-69:  Ellen Mullennix
  • 1969-70:  Ariel Colburn
  • 1970-86:  Pansy Allison

In 1969, the Central High School Library moved into its new location at the school on Highway 58 in Harrison.

Posted in Central Athletics, Early History, Football

More of Charlie Sedman’s Posts to The Central Connection

September 9, 2008:

On Tuesday, September 10, 1907, the Chattanooga Times reported on page 3, “The Central high school is now figuring on a football team.   Among the members of the county high school faculty is Coach (Curtis) Green, formerly of the Battle Ground Academy, Franklin, Tenn….it is believed he will put out a fast team at Central high school, providing money can be secured to start the movement..”

This answers the question, “Which came first, Central or the football team? And the answer is the school, but only by a few days.   The football team did precede classes in the new building by nearly three months. I’ll have a few followup notes under the 101 Years ago heading, leading to Central’s first two football games in October 1907 against Baylor and City.

September 12, 2008:

Central’s football teams have faced many great players and coaches over the years.   One such encounter occurred in the Fall of 1919. New head coach Rusty Cornelius had to cope with losses of star players who were “recruited” along with Coach Rike to Baylor, and an inexperienced team that had played only three games the previous year with no head coach. Cornelius hastily cobbled together a schedule of seven games with whoever was available. Remarkably, with great leadership from a junior quarterback named Dean Petersen, Cornelius forged a 5-1-1 record, with five shutout wins, the only blemishes being a 0-0 tie with Rike’s all-star Baylor team and a decisive 33-6 thumping by an obscure military school, Fitzgerald-Clarke Academy of Tullahoma, Tennessee. The 33 points by Fitzgerald-Clarke were the only points allowed by Central that season.

So what was Fitzgerald-Clarke Military Academy? Turns out it was one of a handful of college prep schools used by Vanderbilt and other colleges to help promising athletes pass college entrance exams. In this particular year, 1919, Fitzgerald-Clarke had, amongst others, a 6-1, 210 lb lineman named Lynn Bomar from Texas, who would later become an All-American at Vanderbilt and play professional football for the New York Giants. Ironically, 1919-20 was Fitzgerald-Clarke’s last year as an institution, for the school barracks burned down just after the football season ended, then the school burned down and never reopened.   But perhaps more noteworthy was their young football coach who, out of a job after the school calamities, followed the pipeline to Vanderbilt as an assistant coach. By 1923, at age 31, he was head coach at Alabama, then by 1930 head coach at Duke, where he would remain until 1950. Overall he won three National Championships at Alabama in seven years and had an unprecedented winning   (110-36-7) record at Duke. Plus a 1-0 career record against Central. His name   –   William Wallace Wade.

Posted in Early History, Historical Background

More of Charlie Sedman’s Posts to The Central Connection

September 5, 2008:

On Friday September 6, 1907, Central High School opened for registration at the old Ridgedale School on the corner of Peachtree St. and Bennett Ave.   Central thus became the first high school in Hamilton County to offer a four-year curriculum (City didn’t adopt a four-year program until 1912) and the first county high school (Tyner opened the following Monday).   By September 19,   registered students totaled 156, and this number would grow to 230 by mid-year, and then to 306 by the end of the year, aided by the promotion of 76 area eighth graders to the ninth grade at mid-term, as the new building opened.   [Central would not move into the new building, designed to accommodate 500 students, until January 6, 1908.]

September 7, 2008:

The new Hamilton County Plan (1906) was to have one four-year high school offering a full college prep diploma with peripheral high schools offering three-year certificates, requiring all students seeking a diploma to complete their fourth year at the new central high school, thus the name Central High School. Of course this was very difficult for students living in the Soddy and Sale Creek areas, so in short order their schools, along with Hixson and Tyner, were expanded to a full four-year program. But the original central school retained the name Central High School. So now you know.

September 8, 2008:

The majority of Central students in the early days were mostly nearby, i.e, within walking distance or a streetcar ride from school, meaning that students from areas north of the river or well east of the ridge had some logistical problems getting to Central.   Teachers and students mostly lived in the Glenwood-Ridgedale-Highland Park-Eastside-East Chattanooga area. A very few of the notable early grads like Creed Bates (1911) commuted all the way from St Elmo. Very little indication that the farm kids came into town to go to school. Also Soddy, Tyner, Sale Creek, and Hixson then were very small schools by comparison to Central and City; graduating classes in the 1910-20 era were single digits compared to Central and City being near 100 each. In the 1920s more students from Eastdale-Brainerd-East Ridge and Hill City (North Chattanooga) flowed in as those areas transitioned from rural to suburbs.

The Hoodenpyl (Signal Mtn) and Olinger (moved from Soddy to Riverview) clans are examples of large rural famililes sending their kids to Central in the 20s as transportation improved. This necessitated the big expansions of the building in 1923 (auditorium and south wing) and 1927 (Science or north wing), and again in 1937 (west extensions off the north and south wings). In summary, early Central students were mostly urban kids and did not have to choose between school and farm chores. This is also the reason the rural high schools did not field competitive athletic teams for decades – fewer students and limited time for after school activities, e.g. gym was athletic team practice. Think of it Ed, NO two-a-day practices in August.

Posted in Early History, Faculty

Faculty Additions for 1911-12

New Faculty 1911-12

 

In the fall of 1911, Central hired four new instructors, two at the beginning to replace departed Domestic Science teacher Mabel Agnes Fair and Commercial instructor Walter Harrington and one in December to replace math teacher C E Rogers, who left to help start up the East Tennessee Normal School in Johnson City.  Lillie Schwartz was also hired to supplement John Setliffe in teaching Latin and German.

 

Claudia Frazier was born April 27, 1883 in Washington, Rhea County, TN to Samuel  Frazier Jr. and Josephine Locke Frazier.  The fourth of five children, Frazier attended  Soule College in Murfreesboro and entered UT as a special student in 1905. While at UT Frazier was president of the student YWCA and captained the women’s basketball team in 1909. At the same time, her father’s first cousin, former Tennessee  governor  James Beriah Frazier, was a US Senator representing Tennessee.  She graduated with a BA in 1909, her thesis being, ” Life and Works of Tennyson.”  Frazier began her teaching career at Rhea County High School, Dayton, TN that fall.

Because of her lifelong interest in nutrition, Claudia Frazier was chosen to replace a former classmate, Mabel Agnes Fair, at Central in 1911 to lead the Domestic Science Dept.  Frazier hosted a nutritional seminar at the National Conservation Convention in Knoxville in March, 1913. At the end of the 1912-13 school year, Frazier resigned and married another former UT classmate, John Gilbreath, a newspaperman with the Associated Press, and moved to Atlanta. The Gilbreaths shortly thereafter returned to Chattanooga permanently, when Gilbreath became editor of the Chattanooga Times. Claudia Gilbreath became involved in many civic activities, including being named the local director of the Red Cross in 1919. She had become Tennessee’s first Red Cross certified dietician in 1917.

Ms. Gilbreath returned to academics in 1930 as the principal of Central Elementary School, a position she held for over a decade, retiring in 1942.  She and her husband owned and published several regional weekly newspapers and co-founded several Chattanooga institutions, such as the Chattanooga Federal Savings & Loan and the Chattanooga Little Theater.  When her husband and younger sister, Katherine, passed away in 1964, Claudia Gilbreath initiated a scholarship endowment in their honor at UC, still active today. She passed away on Signal Mountain  June 7, 1980.

Walter Pitts Selcer was born January 12, 1880 in the Falling Water area of Hamilton County, the only child of Richard F and Mary E Selcer . He married Laura Stewart on April 12, 1905 in Madison County, AL. Sons Walter P and Richard were born in 1907 and 1909 before Selcer came to Central in 1911 to direct the Commercial Dept, replacing Walter Harrington. Selcer was an ally to Supt. Brown in the removal of Principal Darrah at the end of the 1911-12 school year, was given a bonus for his actions, and remained at Central with Principal Ziegler until Ziegler left at the end of the 1920-21 school year.  Daughters Laura and Loe were born in 1913 and 1915. Selcer then directed the Commercial Dept. at City High for the remainder of his career, retiring in 1951. His youngest son, Stewart, was born in 1924.  Selcer passed away Jan 4, 1968 in Falling Water.

Arthur L Rankin was born to W. C. and Ida May Rankin on Dec 20, 1887 near Tullahoma, TN.  Rankin graduated from Fall’s Business College, Nashville, in 1905. He  taught at the Morgan School in Fayetteville, TN for two years, and then at Bedford and Coffee County schools until 1911, when he accepted an appointment  as the Chattanooga YMCA educational director.  When C E Rogers left Central in December 1911, Rankin replaced him, appointed by Supt Brown,  and was also instrumental in having Principal Darrah removed at the end of that  school year.  Just after Darrah was deposed, Rankin married Eleanor McKinney on May 25, 1912. Rankin, however, proved to be a very competent educator and eventually became Central’s first Assistant Principal. During the 1926-27 school year, Rankin penned Central’s Alma Mater.  While at Central, Rankin worked on his BA degree at UC, which he achieved in 1924. Rankin left in 1927 to become principal of Bradley County High School, then returned as Superintendent of Hamilton County Schools in 1932, a position he held until April, 1939, then again in 1941-42. In 1942 he retired from the Hamilton County system and became head of the math department at Baylor, staying until 1959. He passed away on Signal Mountain  April 9, 1975. He and Eleanor had three children, Arthur L Jr. born 1914, Ida M. (1915), and William J. (1919).

Lillie Schwartz was born in Chattanooga Dec 24, 1889 to German Immigrants Henry and Jane Poss Schwartz. The youngest of six children, Lillie graduated from City High in 1905 and received a BA from Ohio Wesleyan in 1909. Schwartz taught Latin and German at City before moving over to Central at the beginning of the 1911-12 school year. She taught, at various times, German, French, and Latin at Central over a long, but intermittent, career that spanned  48 years, retiring at the end of the 1958-59 school year.  Ms. Schwartz  never married, passing away in Chattanooga on Nov 10, 1963.

Posted in Early History, Faculty

Central Faculty Additions 1910-11

New Faculty 1910-11

For the 1910-11 school year,  Central added three faculty members, one to replace the departed A T Roark as director of the Commercial Dept. and athletics business manager. For the first time, photos of the faculty are available with the issue of Central’s first Yearbook, The Sleepless Eye.

William Ketcham Anderson was a math teacher at Central only for the year 1910-11, while taking courses at UC. He was born April 27, 1888 in New York City and graduated from Wesleyan (CT) with a BA in 1910. He left Central and attended Columbia University, receiving an MA in 1913, then to Union Theological Seminary for a Bachelors in Divinity in 1914. He then performed missionary work in Europe and Africa, and became a pastor at Ohio State University 1915-18. He married Fanny Spencer  Dec  19, 1916 and had two daughters -Almeda Jane (1918) and Elizabeth Cushman (1921). After serving as a pastor in Pittsburgh, he relocated to Nashville in 1939 when  the Methodist Episcopal Church, North, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Methodist Protestant Church reunited, and Nashville was chosen as the site for a consolidated publishing facility–the Methodist Publishing House.  Anderson is credited with editing and publishing many religious books, tracts and pamphlets during his eight years  there. He died in Nashville Feb 7, 1947 and was buried in Vanhollow, NY.

Frank Eugene Gunn was born in 1877 to Melvin and Peorlina Gunn of Novelty, MO. He served in the Spanish American war and afterward entered Simpson College (Methodist college in Indianola, IA), receiving  a BA degree in June, 1903, and was married in Villisca, IA on July 22 of that year to Delia B. Jones of Princeton, IL.  Gunn came to Chattanooga as a teacher in the Hamilton County Schools and by 1906 was Principal of the East Chattanooga School.  Gunn came to Central in the 1910-11 school year as an English and history teacher, even though Central already two English and one history teachers on board.  At the end of that school year it was revealed in school board hearings that Superintendent Brown intended to not renew Principal Darrah’s contract and that his main ally was Gunn, whom he had personally appointed to Central. Gunn was bolstered the following year by appointments of Selcer and Rankin to Central by Brown to help end Darrah’s reign. After Darrah had been deposed in 1912, Gunn remained at Central as a history teacher (as Harriett Greve took leave for a masters degree) and instrumental music instructor (replacing Charles Garratt who was booted along with Darrah). Gunn left Central at the end of the 1915 school year (Greve returned the following fall) and took a similar position at City High, where he remained until retirement around 1940. He was the Chattanooga Area Leader of the Boy Scouts for 8 years.  Gunn passed away in Chattanooga on July 31, 1957. He and Delia had no children.

Walter Leo Harrington replaced A T Roark as Commercial Dept. instructor for just  the 1910-11 school year.  Harrington was born  Nov 26, 1871 in Boston, MA  to John and Mary Noonan Harrington, the fifth  of six children.  Harrington attended the Boston Latin School, taught elementary school  until entering Harvard in 1898, and received a BA in Commerce from Harvard University in 1900. Harrington returned to teaching and was headmaster of the Charlestown Evening School in Boston until 1905.  During that time he co-authored four books on English as a second language, based on his experience as headmaster.  He pursued a writing career until 1910, then inexplicably migrated to Chattanooga. Once at Central, Harrington was probably overwhelmed with managing the ambitious football program under Rike, as only four games were scheduled that fall; none with local teams.  However the Sleepless Eye gave kudos for Harrington in scheduling basketball games, in which Central was undefeated for the year, and he authored a rousing  write-up of Central’s Commercial Dept in the 1911 Sleepless Eye.  Harrington  relocated to Greensburg, PA and was a no-show for a commercial teaching position in New York in the fall of 1911. Working with Coach Rike had longer-term benefits, as Harrington next surfaced in fall of 1917 as the head football coach and commercial instructor of Rollins College, Winter Park FL, announced in the Sept 6, 1917 Winter Park Post, page 4. Fortunately for Harrington, Rollins only enrolled 10 male students that fall, so the football season was forgone.  Harrington, as a business professor, became a fixture in the local papers for his speeches on the bright future of Rollins College and the inevitable  economic boost on Winter Park.  Harrington was last reported by the local newspaper as having a serious illness in Washington DC while on a recruiting trip for Rollins in late March, 1918. Harrington re-emerged as a commercial instructor for the Charleston, WV schools in 1918-20, then as a speech instructor at Indiana University, Bloomington, IN for 1921-22.  He authored a fifth book entitled, “Speaking Well: The Art of Conversation” in 1924, and faded into obscurity afterward.