Research and information by Charlie Sedman:

Central was in fact the first accredited high school (1907) in Hamilton County and was referred to as “Hamilton County High School” in the beginning.  After Tyner opened in 1907 and Hixson in 1908 (followed by Soddy-Daisy and Sale Creek), Hamilton County High is then referred to as”Hamilton County Central High” then “Central High at Ridgedale”.  After Ridgedale was annexed by Chattanooga in 1912, Central was most often called Chattanooga Central, although it was never a Chattanooga City School.