On January 31, 2012, the Monument & Markers Committee of the Tennessee Historical Commission considered our application, modified our proposed text, and recommended approval of our marker.
Modifed text: “From 1908 to 1969, this was the site of the first Hamilton County high school to offer a full four year curriculum. From an initial graduating class of 19, the school grew to an enrollment of approximately 2000 students, making it one of the largest high schools in the state for a significant period. In 1919, the first Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps unit in Tennessee was organized here. In 1963, Central proudly accepted the 22nd annual National Bellamy Award, one of the nation’s highest merit honors for secondary schools.”
On February 17, 2012, the full Commission will vote on our application.